2. A security program based on risk assessment
“The first step in developing a security program is to conduct a risk assessment of the institution’s facilities, and evaluation of the existing security system. Organization of a security and communication plan then follow. Some key points include:
- Determine facility vulnerability
- Evaluate the security system
- Check storage of research data
- Organize a security plan
- Organize a communication plan in the event of an incident during the day, after hours, weekends and holidays"
>>More in the ARENA/OLAW Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee Guidebook Section B.6.a.
Security programs should reflect the unique risk assessments of an institution, but may share many elements with institutions that have similar regional or programmatic characteristics. There are a variety of resources that can help institutions and investigators proactively develop strong and efficient security programs, including:
Previous Topic | Next Topic